Sunday, October 28, 2007

Imperfect

I am not at all perfect.
And neither is my non-consumerism.
I just wanted to state that up-front lest you think what I'm doing is really crazy or amazing or crazy amazing.
Because there are a LOT of things that I'm not doing. Basically because I know I can't. Or at least, I don't feel that I can right now.
For example, food.
I buy pretty much all my food from Trader Joes.
But.
I don't always buy organic because sometimes I'm feeling cheap.
I buy a lot of pre-packaged meals wrapped in a lot of plastic because I work 12 hour days and I don't have time to cook.
I drink cans of soda.
And I admit. I drink bottles of water too. Though I do try and refill the bottle several times before I recycle it.
I like to fly places because it's faster. I feel a little guilty, but not enough to stop flying. (I do buy carbon offsets though when I fly.)
I would like to change some of these habits, but I am trying to take things one step at a time. A year ago, I didn't recycle consistently, I didn't bring my own bags with me to the grocery store, I printed things single-sided, and I liked to shop.
I've changed a lot in the past year. And I know I will be changing even more.

No comments: