Wednesday, December 19, 2007

JaFillintheBlankMo

There are over 10 days left in my DeSloFooMo challenge, but I'm already looking to January! I've come up with a few options for my January challenge, but I'm having a hard time picking which challenge to try out, so I thought I'd put it to you and get your input.

Here are the choices:

JaLoFoMo- The Local Food Challenge
Since starting DeSloFooMo, I've become much more interested in the food I eat and where it comes from. Currently, if any of my food is local, it's totally accidental. I'd like to try and incorporate some local foods into my diet, and that's what this challenge would be about.

Pros: This is a challenge I'm pretty excited to try as food has been on my mind a lot recently. I'd also like to supplement my challenge by doing some reading about the local food movement. Also, there's a farmers' market that's about a twenty minute walk from my apartment that I have never been to, and I'd like to get into a routine of going every weekend.

Cons: Another month of food? While I think people have enjoyed DeSloFooMo, this isn't a food blog, and two months in a row of food challenges might be a bit much.

JaWaCoMo- The Water Conservation Challenge
The Mayor of Los Angeles is probably going to institute mandatory water conservation regulations soon as we're in a pretty bad drought here in Los Angeles. This challenge would be about conserving my water- hand-washing dishes, taking short showers, etc.

Pros: This challenge would definitely be timely.

Cons: I try to be pretty water-conscious already. I do use a dishwasher, but I only run it about once a week. (I eat breakfast and lunch at work, and those dishes get washed by hand.) And I already take short showers. I know that there are things I could be doing regarding my toilet, but because it's just me in my apartment, my personal toilet doesn't get used a ton. I'm at work a lot, and I can't really "let it mellow" at work.

JaDiCuMo- The Diva Cup Challenge
The first time I heard about the Diva Cup, my reaction was, "Ew, gross." But the more I keep reading about it, from various people, the more intrigued I've become. And I'm always up for trying something once, so, what the hell? Why not give it a go?

Pros: This to me is the wackiest, most out-there challenge of the three. And who doesn't love a wacky, out-there challenge?

Cons: Most of the month, it won't even be relevant.

All right, those are the options. Let me know what you think in the comments. Any additions, questions, or other options are welcomed as well.

8 comments:

Jennie said...

I would be really interested in the diva cup. In the feminist magazine I get they have advertisements for reusable pads and such, or these like natural sponges. I consider myself an environmentalist but this seems weird. So be the guinea pig :)

Sam said...

I use cloth pads from gladrags and although I did order a diva cup (yet to arrive) I admit to being a bit grossed out by the cup. Plus it doesn't help that I'm paranoid "what if it spills onto my pants? should I carry an extra set of pants everywhere I go? What if I drop the cup when emptying it? Will it look like a murder scene?", etc, etc. I like the cloth pads because its comfortable...and generally don't like strange things being shoved inside certain holes...was not too crazy about the tampon for that reason. Guess I just revealed a bit much about me. :)

Jackie said...

I like the diva cup challenge, but then again, I am also the maker of Punky's Pads (http://www.punkyspads.com) so I'm a little biased when it comes to alternative menstrual products :)

Amber said...

I vote the water conservation challenge. That's my weak point and hey, why not attack the weak points so they can become strong?!

EcoGeoFemme said...

I think the local food challenge would be the most interesting for a whole month. It should be easy for you, living in southern california. But January would probably be the most difficult time to do it.

The others are cool too, but a whole month of diva cup? Though if you do try it, I'd very much like to hear about it.

The bean-mom said...

I like the local food challenge, myself. But then, I like reading about food...

Anonymous said...

I vote for the water conservation challenge, and so does everyone you've ever met.

Mad Hatter said...

Hmm...tough choice. If I were doing it, I'd go for the local food challenge, especially since, as EcoGeoFemme points out, you're in California and should have lots of great options.

But I have to admit I'm very curious about the diva cup. And what better way to learn about it than to have someone else try it?! :-) So I guess I'm voting for the diva cup....