Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy Birthday to My Mom

Today is my mom's birthday, and for the first time in a while I'm here to celebrate it with her. It's a sad truth that we never appreciate everything our parents did for us until we grow up, and even then, I'm sure there are things my mom did that I won't truly appreciate until I have kids of my own.

But I wanted to take a moment to thank my mom for all the sacrifices she made for me, for everything she has given me, for the values she has instilled in me. I'm also thankful for her good skin genes she passed on to me though less thankful for the wide birthing hips!

My mom is one of the kindest, most caring, and strong people I know. She flew around the world from India to the US to get married, and brought up her children miles away from the rest of her family. She always opened the house to friends and family, and she knows how to throw a good party. She traveled with both my sister and me to India every other year so that we could learn where we came from, and know all our family. (Yes, that means multiple 20+ hour flights with toddlers.)It was from my mom that I developed my love of travel.

I know it hasn't always been easy. I know that these past few years have been especially difficult ones. And I know we have our differences at times. But I'm so thankful and lucky to have you as my mother, and I love you so very, very much.

Happy Birthday.

1 comment:

Sam said...

Is your mom looking to adopt another daughter? Please let her know I'm available.

And happy birthday to your mom.