Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Stealing Challenge- JuGiveMo

Yes, for the month of June, I am stealing from Siel, Burbanmom, and Joyce! See, a few months ago, Burbanmom came up with what might have been my favorite challenge ever: The Giving Challenge. Then last month, Siel challenged herself to give for 29 days. And then for another 29. As for Joyce, well let's just say Joyce doesn't need a giving challenge because she pretty much gives of herself as a way of life

Anyway these ladies inspired me so much that I decided to steal their idea! (Sorry for freaking you out Burbs, you can take off the 12 locks you just put on your door.)

For the month of June, I pledge to give of myself every day this month. I'll be practicing giving in all different kinds of ways. Some days I will give monetarily whether it's to a charity or a dollar to a homeless person. Other days I might be giving stuff away, and still other days I'll be giving my time. But every day, I'll be giving.

Now you might be wondering, isn't this an environmental blog? What the heck does giving money to a homeless person have to do with the environment?

And of course, it is true that if I give a dollar to a homeless person, I'm not directly helping the environment. But what I've learned is that everything is interlinked. And after all, the reason I'm an environmentalist is ultimately because I care about the people on this planet. 

I also believe learning to give of myself is as important a skill to learn as any. The challenges of global warming and peak oil are great indeed, but I firmly believe that by building a community, and by giving of ourselves, we can overcome these challenges and create a better world for everyone on Earth.

Plus, it's my birth month. And since us non-consumers aren't so big on the whole getting stuff thing, I thought it would be fun to flip things around. So instead of celebrating by getting, I'm gonna celebrate by giving. And I have to tell you, I'm pretty stoked to be partying this way.

So follow along with me this month as I give it away, give it away, give it away now. To kick off the month, I'm donating $25 to my friend Wom. She is a total super hero, and is running a marathon for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in memory of our friend who passed away earlier this year. Thanks Wom! I'll be running with you in spirit. But not in practice. Because that's fracking HARD yo.

14 comments:

Michelle MacKenzie said...

I couldn't agree more with you about the importance of giving. Community is so important and we've all gotten into this habit of going into our homes, locking our doors, turning on the tube and tuning out the rest of the world. We are all in this together and nothing is more important than helping each other. On one hand, it is a selfless act. On the other, it is the selfish act - it feels good to help someone and, because we are all so intertwined on this very tiny planet, helping someone else ultimately helps ourselves.

Great challenge, Arduous. Way to keep growing, girl. You inspire us all.

Oh, and happy birthday!

hgg said...

Happy birthday!

Have I told told you lately that your blog rocks?

EcoBurban said...

Happy Birthday!! What a wonderful way to celebrate, help others and warm your heart, all at the same time. Awesome!

ruchi said...

Jam, love to have the company! Looking forward to hearing about your giving experiences.

GB, it's true, it does feel really good to help others. That's why I'm super psyched about this challenge!

HGG, aw, you are so sweet. Thanks!

EBM, thank you! Stealing challenges=the way to go. :)

Crunchy Chicken said...

Feliz cumpleaƱos!

I totally appreciate the donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. That helps us out in the Crunchy household too!

See, things really are interlinked.

Burbanmom said...

Happy Birth Month! And no, you're not "stealing" the idea... we're all "giving" it to you! :-)

ruchi said...

Crunchy, there is nothing more that I'd like to do than bash the heads of leukemia and lymphoma and totally eradicate these diseases. I am very happy to help you and Mr Crunchy out. You know you two are in my thoughts daily.

Burbs, heh, thanks for giving me the challenge, then. :) I appreciate it!

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Good for you!

ruchi said...

Thanks CAE!

Joyce said...

Wow, I'm humbled to think that my little blog might be making a difference. Thanks so much Arduous. I hope you are blessed, blessed, blessed by your experience! I don't know if I can give something every day, but I will try.

Going Crunchy said...

That is so awesome! Happy Birthday, and what an inspiring challenge for yourself. Can't wait to see the outcome.

ruchi said...

Joyce, thank you for constantly reminding me of the importance of giving! I think some days I may not be able to give much, but every day I think I can give SOMETHING.

Shannon, thank you!!

Mad Hatter said...

Happy Birthday Month! You'll let us know when it comes around so we can tell you happy birthday for real, right?

Great challenge!

ruchi said...

Thanks MH!