Thursday, November 15, 2007

Easy Green

One of the things that surprised me as I moved to my non-consumer way of life, was how SIMPLE some of my green fixes were. Like buying recycled toilet paper at Trader Joes where I shop all the time anyway. And I kept wondering to myself ... why wasn't I doing this EARLIER?

I think sometimes we balk at the bigger lifestyle changes people like Colin or Crunchy are making, and figure, well anything I'm going to do is going to be a drop in the bucket, so why bother?

But just think about this. If everyone reused their grocery bags, which is a pretty easy green fix, think about HOW much plastic we would save. And the more people who start doing their small, maybe insignificant-on-its-own part, they more that that drop in the proverbial bucket starts to be more of a flood in the bucket.

So from time to time I'm going to start posting some of my easy green fixes. I know many of you are old hats at all of this, but I am consistently surprised by simple green fixes that I, up until recently, never bothered to do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is something I think about a lot. I often feel like a hypocrite because I talk about wanting to be greener and simpler a lot, but I don't feel like I'm doing enough. But every little thing DOES add up. And any change is better than no change.

Also...you've been tagged. Check my blog for details

ScienceMama said...

This is great! Please do add more easy green fixes. And I've been recently mulling over why I don't use reuseable bags, and this has inspired me to finally get off my butt and go buy some.

Although, I have to keep getting some plastic bags from the grocery store, because that's how I clean the cat box, pick up dog poop, and manage the diaper pail...