Monday, January 4, 2010

Happy 2010

Happy New Year, all!

Last year was a really good year for me. Among other things, I traveled around Europe, I learned a tremendous amount, and I graduated from a Masters program.

Unfortunately, last year was not so great a year worldwide (as I'm sure we're all aware.) I won't bore you with a recap of the year, but let's just all agree we have our work cut out for us this year and decade.

The problems we face right now are large. It's undeniable. And it's easy, given the size and scope of these problems, to simply throw up one's hands in the air and say, "Forget it. There isn't anything I can do, so I might as well do nothing."

I have been very tempted to throw my hands up in the air, time and time again.

And yet I continue to persevere. To plod. To hope against hope.

There were some days last year when I was miserable. When I was sure that I wasn't smart enough, good enough, or educated enough. But I took it day by day, I kept working, and at the end of the year I somehow had a shiny Masters degree.

Although it may seem ludicrous to compare the climate change crisis to graduate school (torturous though it may be) I believe the same principles apply.

Take it day by day.

Because if we all keep pushing on icebergs, big things can happen.

So this year, I resolve to persevere. To hang tough. To look cynicism in the eye and say, "To hell with all that."

And to keep pushing.

Happy 2010 everyone. May this decade be infinitely better than the last.

3 comments:

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Happy New Year! I think 2010's going to be a good one.

Oldnovice said...

I have positive feelings for 2010. Maybe that's because my daughter will be giving birth in a month.

Anonymous said...

Happy new year to you, too and congrats on your masters!
on not feeling smart enough: happens to everyone, is probably true,too ( who´s ever smart enough? ), that´s life I guess. I recently realized that I´ve been bad at what I do for 9 years now :) no, but seriously...
looking forward to your posts!