Thursday, December 18, 2008

Why I Blog

Today I took the train up to meet a friend. She had told me that she'd pick me up from the station, in case it rained, and the truth is, I was glad to have her pick me up, even though I know I'm now a Londoner and should be inured to a little rain. 

It turned out we needn't have worried, as it was one of those gorgeous sunny days that California is famous for. As I got off the train, I rummaged in my bag to call her, and then saw her waiting right outside of the station. We headed off to get cupcakes and tea, where we spent a couple hours talking about life, family, school, work, politics, the environment, mutual friends, and boys.

As she dropped me back to the train, she gave me a hug and told me to call her the next time I came to town. And I told her that of course, I would. Because Green Bean is now one of my good friends. A good friend who I met through blogging.

And ultimately, this is why I blog. I mean ... there are a lot of reasons why I do it. Because I am opinionated and I like spouting off. Because I like to write. But ultimately, I blog because of the human connections.

It's not just the new friends either. Okham writes about how blogging has enhanced his pre-existing friendships. I've found the same to be true. ScienceMama and I have been friends for now ... 17 years. And yet, in 17 years, I don't think we've ever been as close as we've become in the past year. And I think a large part of that is because we both blog. 

It hasn't been entirely easy keeping up with the blog since August. At times, I've struggled to juggle everything. Several times, I've felt like I was neglecting you all. I have definitely had much less time to read and comment on other people's blogs. And yet, I can't imagine my life without this blog. Without blogging. Without all of you, some who I've known for 17 years, some who I feel close to despite never having met in person. 

Thank you to all of you who have been reading my blog this past year. Thanks for having patience with me during my blogging hiatuses. Thank you for reading my sometimes rambling, sometimes silly, sometimes too long posts. I cannot emphasize enough how much my life has changed, mostly for the better, because of this blog, and because of this community. 

Thank you to all my readers, and have a wonderful holiday.

9 comments:

Green Bean said...

It was great to see you too! Amazing how a few words posted on the internet led to such a friendship. :) Blogging really opens up a whole new world - I feel like I've got friends scattered all over the world. Keep in touch! Really. ;-) And happy holidays to yourself.

JessTrev said...

Awww...you guys are making me smile. I just got to hang out with Lynn Miller from OrganicMania yesterday (we met years ago, online, via the DC Urban Moms community but reconnected via blogging), and with Lisa Frack from Environmental Working Group. All of us were laughing because *literally* when we see someone with a plastic bottle (or try to limit our own consumption in some way) we see (and in some way, do it for) Beth from Fake Plastic Fish. Powerful relationships. Thanks for blogging! And also for sharing your friendship with us.

lauren said...

I almost never comment, but you are part of my daily reading: up there with Dooce and Amalah. Keep up the great work!

Erin aka Conscious Shopper said...

Ha, ha, I thought you and Crunchy Chicken must have been participating in some blog carnival with the theme of "why I blog" until I saw your comment on her post. What a coincidence!

Anonymous said...

I blog for the power... muhahahaha! You all think of me every time you see a plastic bottle. How could I possibly wish for a greater legacy?

:-)

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow, Ruchi!

Anonymous said...

Your blog is addictive. I started reading it about six weeks ago and now I can't stop! Happy Winter Holidays, r. aka a.

Joyce said...

I wonder if blogging advances friendships the way being pen pals does. It used to be common to hear of pen pals who wrote each other for years, finally travelling great distances to see each other; or soldiers marrying girls who started writing them as pen pals, etc. It seems like writing gets right down to the core of what you want to say, without distractions, and you can get to know someone thoroughly by reading their thoughts.

Have a Merry Christmas, Arduous!

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful post. You've really summed up what so many of us joyfully discover about blogging. You can read people talk about the "connections" you make, but until you experience it yourself, it's hard to understand. I love my bloggy friends...they're friendships of the mind and spirit!

And I just saw JessTrev's comment...she describes our outing well.

ScienceMama said...

Hugs kisses and merry christmas! I can't wait to see you!