Friday, December 12, 2008

Priceless

Tonight is my last night in London. I intended to spend the early part of the evening doing a little shopping, packing and cleaning, and then get a drink with my friend. Instead, I spent the evening: at campus security, at a police station, and searching dumpsters in London alleyways. Because my school bag got stolen. My school bag which carried no computer, nor cash, but did carry my Klean Kanteen, my notes, my external hard drive, the charger for my laptop, and ... my wallet. My wallet which contained replaceable and unimportant objects, but was itself irreplaceable. My wallet which was my father's wallet. My wallet which was my father's wallet which I have carried on my person every day since he passed away. My wallet, which at the end of the day, was just an object, lord knows, this non-consumerist has learned that at the end of the day, stuff is just stuff. And yet ...

And yet.

My wallet which is currently sitting in some dumpster in London because it was priceless to only one person on the planet.

11 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh no, I'm sorry. :( I understand though. It's hard to be non-consumerist in the face of the sentimental things. I've never figured out how to get rid of things just because of the sentimental attachment.

kimberly said...

ardy, i'm so sorry to hear that. yes, it was only a material object, but it had a strong meaning for you, and that's important. it's really unfortunate that this happened. i'm sorry :(

hgg said...

oh, I´m so sorry. What a hassle to deal with just before leaving :-(

Anonymous said...

*hug*

~kt

Anonymous said...

So very sorry to hear about your loss of such a precious touchstone.

Tina Cardone said...

That's so frustrating! It's always especially hard to lose things that you know no one else wants but are irreplaceable to you.

Donna said...

I'm so sorry. Lots of hugs.

Green Bean said...

I'm so sorry, Ruchi! How awful. I still hope you find it. Keeping fingers crossed. Have a safe flight home.

EcoGeoFemme said...

Oh, really sorry for you. I hope it turns up somehow.

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

((Ruchi))

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. I know how important things like that are. I have my grandfather's wallet as well as my father's dog tags from the service. They are such important items for me, I can't imagine how I would feel if I lost them.

I do hope the wallet turns up.