Thursday, October 30, 2008

Grad School Is Like An Abusive Boyfriend

Okay, maybe that's a little extreme, but seriously, sometimes I feel like I love grad school and it's so awesome! and I'm learning so much! And other days, I find myself in total despair at how little I really know. You know, the days, where you do the reading, and you have this feeling like your head is filled with cotton candy, and that you are a total impostor among all these other really smart, talented people who clearly know way more than you will ever know in your entire life.

Blah. I hate feeling stupid.

7 comments:

Green Bean said...

Nah! You are one of the sharpest people I know. They're probably all sitting home now thinking the same thing. Keep on reading.

Anonymous said...

"Abusive boyfriend"... interesting analogy...
I have to admit, if I think back to when I was in graduate school ... did my PhD advisor act sort of like a needy, high maintenance girlfriend... or more like an intrusive, nosy mother-in-law ? Hmmm....

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Hah! I remember the feeling. Everyone gets it, you are NOT STUPID! You are AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

I think graduate school is more like a demanding toddler. But yeah, it can be tough. Hang in there.

The bean-mom said...

No, Arduous is right--grad school is *totally* like an abusive boyfriend!

Hang in there =)

Burbanmom said...

Oh, Arduous, you wouldn't even be there if your head was filled with cotton candy! You'd be a side-show attraction at a traveling carnival.

Hang in there! And if the abusive boyfriend gets too out of control, kick him in the nards.

sunflowerchilde said...

I know exactly what you're talking about! I think I tried to block out my memories of grad school, but your description brings it all right back. And I still look back in disbelief and wonder why I put myself through such hell.

Not to be discouraging or anything - if I was smarter and studied something I enjoyed more (like you are doing), I probably wouldn't have these regrets.