Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The APLS of My Eye

Hi all! 

So, as an administrative note, I just wanted to let you know that there is now an APLS poll up on the APLS blog. If you want to be involved in deciding the APLS name (will we remain affluent, or become aware, or aspiring?) then head on over to the APLS blog and vote! 

And in keeping with APLS, today I would like to feature two fellow APLS: 

Eco 'Burban Mom and Cath from VWXYNot.

Eco 'Burban Mom is from Michigan, and she has four (count 'em FOUR) boys. On the surface, she seems pretty different from me, and certainly our lives are very different. Hers, for instance, involve Little League games, whereas I haven't been to a Little League game in probably 20-odd years. But, at the same time, I think we CAN relate to each other much more than most people think. Because at base, our core philosophies are the same. We both do what we can, and then, we don't beat ourselves up over the rest. 

Cath, on the other hand, is a scientist living in Vancouver. I was really excited when Cath came aboard and started contributing to the APLS carnivals because unlike most of the other APLS, 
Cath isn't primarily an eco-blogger. Instead her blog is comprised of a variety of topics including and not limited to science, sustainability issues, religion, her cute cats, Facebook, and her cute cats. She also shares my insane love of tea. I'm really glad to see APLS spread beyond its eco-blogger boundaries, and I really hope to see more bloggers from different background participate in the months to come (hint, hint.)

In other news, I found a bulk-food store nearish and it is really awesome!! I was a little worried when I moved that it would take me a year to find all the resources I needed, since it took me about a year in LA. But I think the difference is, here I've been looking from day one, whereas in LA, I didn't. It's comforting to know that it's really not that hard to find the right resources when you are looking out for them.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I'm gonna have to get used to this whole time zone switcheroo on when you post your posts! Happy blogiversary! Are you gonna post a sample letter to the candidates? 'Cause I'd like to join the armchair activists but I'm the laziest one of all.

cheers!
megan

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Aw thanks mate! I missed this latest APLS carnival due to my grant deadlines, but I'll make an extra effort for the next one.

Glad to hear you're settling in in London! I might be in town in December and/or May, will let you know!

Anonymous said...

Off topic: Do you find it much easier without a car in London?

What's your favorite class so far? Where are your classmates from?

You can see that I miss my student days so much :)

ruchi said...

Megan, I promise, a sample letter tomorrow.

Cath, thanks. I hope I get to see you ... I'll be going home for Christmas so it will be sad if we end up missing each other!!

Cindy: It is SUPER easy without a car in London. Although it did influence my decision to buy a used LCD TV as opposed to a used CRT TV. (I could take the LCD TV on the tube!) My favorite class so far ... tricky. Probably my Environmental Problems/Issues class, though it's a really hard class and I feel in WAY over my head. I really actually love all my classes, but they are all verrrrry challenging!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I know you're really busy. Hopefully I will be too, next September. Here is my first one, which could probably be improved upon but maybe I will write another one later.

Dear Senator Obama,

I am so proud of what you are doing for this country - thank you for running for President. I know you care about how other countries view ours, and I wonder how you think we compare in terms of rail transportation. In my limited view, we are lagging seriously behind other countries on rail transportation, which would substantially improve longer-distance transportation for people and freight. When you speak about improving our infrastructure and reducing greenhouse gases, I hear you discuss roads and bridges as well as wind and solar, but I haven't heard you discuss our railroads. How can we improve our railroads, and how is it a part of the environmental as well as economic and national security strategies that will carry the US forward?

Thank you for your time,

Megan Metcalf

EcoBurban said...

Shucks, thanks for the mention! I've ben so busy with the Obama campaing volunteering that I've ignored many of my other responsibilites and totally missed this! Thanks, Ruchi.

I too agree that somehow, even though our lives feel worlds apart, that we do share similar goals. And, besides, I think I can live a little vicariously through your adventures. Sometimes a suburban mom of four can dream about leaving her life behind to study abroad!

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Booked flights! I'm still reeling from how expensive it was, but basically we will be in the UK from Dec 17-30. Mostly in the North though - we're flying in and out of Manchester.

I will probably be spending a few days in London in May though...