Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Taking the Week Off To Be A Drama Queen

I have a couple thousand very preliminary words due on my dissertation on Friday. Now, you might wonder why on Earth two thousand words should be a problem for someone who routinely writes 1200 word epic blog posts. And frankly, I have to admit that, objectively speaking, 2000 words is nothing, and rationally, I should be able to approach this in some sort of calm manner.

But instead I've opted to completely freak out about the whole thing, alternatively crying because I have no new ideas and everyone has thought of everything that I've thought of and thought of it better than I have, to drinking because oh. my. God. nothing that I'm saying is interesting or relevant or important, to lying awake wondering if my methodology is empirically bankrupt, to drinking some more because why am I the stupidest person in the universe, and oh God, the pain, the pain!!!

Can't you guys tell I used to be an actor?

So forgive the lack of posting, but I'll be back Monday. Hopefully.

Also, can I just say to all the PhDs in the hizzouse, that I give you mad props. I don't know how the hell you do it without slitting your wrists or drinking yourself into a coma. 

9 comments:

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Hang in there, it'll come... I have faith in you!

Farmer's Daughter said...

Good luck Ruchi! Sometimes 2000 words is much harder to write than 200,000.

My AP kids freaked the other day because I limited them to one page on an essay.

Jennie said...

the year of writing my dissertation had many mornings with Kahlua in my coffee.

ruchi said...

Thanks everyone! Jennie, that's effin hysterical. Thanks for sharing that. :)

hgg said...

well, I did do the second thing a couple of times....

And that's why I never blog anymore; everyone has already said the same thing a billion times.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll figure something out!

Anonymous said...

How about half a Xanax? You'll write a brilliant paper. The only trouble is, the next day, you'll forget you wrote it and freak out all over again.

Anonymous said...

Your post makes me smile..and brings back memories. You will look back one day and wonder why all the drama. Enjoy (seriously!). Cheers, Tricia

ScienceMama said...

Who said we didn't do those things?

EcoGeoFemme said...

Good luck! I'm sure you can do it. I recently learned that it's very important to focus on the "very preliminary" part of what you're doing. If your ideas suck, you still have an opportunity to figure out why and work them into something better. But chances are, you're going to find out that many of your ideas are great.