Seriously. Where did 2008 GO?
Luckily, I have a blog, so I can tell you that I spent 2008 giving up toilet paper, grieving the loss of one of my best friends, learning to make butter, taking public transit to work, enjoying the farmers' market with my girl friends, celebrating the last birthday of my twenties for a whole month, becoming a pseudo-freegan, completing my one year of non-consumerism, leaving my beloved Los Angeles, traveling through India, moving to London, voting for Obama, and writing paper after paper after paper.
Not bad for one year.
It's a little amazing to me how much my life has changed in the past one year. I'm honestly not sure where the next year will take me, but I am realizing that right now, the ends are not as important to me and I am just enjoying the journey that is life.
However, there are a few things I hope to accomplish this year. Resolutions, goals whatever, you call them.
1) I hope to write my dissertation, and graduate. And then, ya know, get a job-like thing. You know, one of those things where people pay you to do work? Instead of you paying someone so you can work harder than you've ever worked?
2) I want to do some freelance writing, and start to write more for other blogs/publications/etc.
3) I want to sing more. After two months of choir, I realize how much I've missed it these ten years. I'd love to take voice lessons, but that would probably require that job-like thing.
4) I also want to learn guitar. This one has been on my "resolutions" list for years now, but now the pressure is really on because learning guitar is also on my list of things to do before I turn 30. It was an extremely short list, and I've actually accomplished everything else: I wrote a novel and I'm learning Spanish. Guitar was the third thing on the list, and the only outstanding item. Of course, I sold my guitar when I left LA, so this would require buying another guitar in London, and then finding a cheap teacher ....
5) I want to explore Europe/the UK/London more. I have to be honest. I spent *a lot* of time these past two months getting to know the library very well. And that's great, and I'm proud of myself for working hard in my classes, but it's getting a little embarrassing how little I've explored London. And frankly, when else am I going to get such a good chance to go to York? Or to Brighton? Or to Nice? Or Dublin? Or Copenhagen? Or Berlin? So as much as I love the library (and I actually do ADORE our library) I need to find a balance that allows me to see the world around me just a tad as well.
I think five is probably more goals than I can handle, so I'll stop there.
What about all y'all? What are your goals for the next year?