Tuesday, November 11, 2008

On Writing Essays

One of the things that I've realized is that having a blog has given me a lot more confidence in my writing ability. I've always thought I was a decent writer, but clearly blogging for a year has built that muscle, so to speak. I've consistently been impressed by the quality of writing you get on the blogosphere, but I guess it shouldn't be so surprising. If you are practicing writing daily (or near daily), you're bound to get pretty good at it.

As a result, the essays I have to write for school are nowhere near as scary as they might be. I mean, don't get me wrong, they're still scary. But the dreaded word requirement isn't. Couple thousand words? Pshaw! That's just two somewhat lengthy blog posts!

So, this week I turned in my first essay two weeks early. My next goal is to turn in my second essay one week early, and from then on turn in an essay every week so that it's all nice and spread out and not too stressful. Let's see what really happens at the end of term, but I'm grateful that blogging has generally made writing a less harrowing process.

9 comments:

Joyce said...

You write beautifully, Ruchi. I know blogging uses a less formal voice, but even in that medium your thoughts are well organized and your arguments well supported. There are a lot of times when I'm putting a post up that I edit it thinking, "What would Ruchi do with this?"

Farmer's Daughter said...

Absolutely the practice writing will improve your writing!

And don't forget, the practice reading will improve your reading as well!

(Not to mention the practice typing will help you type faster!!!)

EJ said...

Turning in early is such a good idea. It also gives you time to reread after letting your writing rest for a day or two.

How are you finding university in UK compared to US?

hgg said...

Being ahead is always good; a good advice I seldom but never follow!

Green Bean said...

You've got to be right, Ruchi! For me personally, I did a lot of creative writing before going to law school - which squeezed every drop of creative writing out of me. I feel like the last year or so on the blogosphere has helped me reconnect with that.

I love the way you write! I bet you can churn out those essays in no time. And they'll be beautifully written.

Lauraz said...

I just found your blog last week and I love it. I read all the posts within a few days. Although I have been writing my own blog about my volunteer experiences www.volunteermexico.blogspot.com, you have made me consider blogging more once I return home.

Donna said...

You're right that writing gets better with daily practice. Recently I've been editing some stuff I wrote about two years ago and I'm totally amazed at how much better I've gotten during that time. You write beautifully so I'm glad your blogging is paying off for you in school!

ruchi said...

Aw, thanks Joyce! That's so sweet.

Abbie, you're right. The reading has definitely improved as well! Yay for blogs not being a waste of time!! ;)

EJ, university in the UK is much more self-directed, and there is less feedback. In some ways it's great, because you're able to study what you want to study, but it's also disconcerting because you're not sure how prepared you will be for the exam!

HGG, well I'm doing my best! Who knows how far I'll succeed.

GB, well I LOVE your writing style. It's so descriptive! I wish I was able to write about hanging laundry with the beautiful language you use!!

Lauraz, welcome! And thanks for the compliments!!

Donna, OMG, sometimes I look at old writing of mine and I get embarassed at how I used to write!! I think it's not so much though that my writing used to be terrible, but just that we are all continually growing.

Unknown said...

What a terrific site you have. advertising is a good learning for everybody.


Yet, beware of the scammer site. it gives you pain in your head.
I can also recommend a reliable site to ensure your learnings.Bestdissertation.com Scam