Thursday, January 3, 2008

I Didn't Realize How Badly I Wanted A Woman In The White House Until She Lost the Caucus

I feel like I'm going to cry.

I want this so badly. A woman. Madame President. I mean, of course I like Clinton on her own merits. I think she's intelligent, and fierce, and strong, and yes, experienced. But for me, it always came down to this.

She's a woman.

I don't know why it matters so much to me, but it does. I want a woman. I want America to finally, FINALLY follow in the footsteps of Great Britain, Germany, India, and Pakistan. This is long overdue. And yet? It seems like our only shot. For a very long while anyway.

Don't get me wrong. I like Obama (though I wish he'd waited a few more years before seeking the nomination), and obviously, I'll support whoever the Democratic nominee eventually is. And hey, it's about time we had a minority president, too, right? As a non-white person, I can definitely appreciate that.

But I guess I've always been a woman first and a minority second. And so I yearn for that day, one day, when those who claim America will never elect a woman, or that a woman wouldn't be respected by Arab leaders, or that women just don't have what it takes, will be proved wrong.

I really hope that day is November 4, 2008.

3 comments:

Mouse said...

God, I swear, I'm not going to start posting a comment for every single entry you post. I promise!

I grew-up going to mostly African-American schools. In second grade we began every morning the same way: We'd stand and give the pledge of allegiance. Then Mrs. Wheatley would sit down at the piano and we'd sing the national anthem. And then we'd sing "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing," the 'black national anthem'. It had a powerful effect on me growing up.

I'm a white, middle-class, Midwestern-born male. I can't get any more status quo in terms of cultural background. But I find Obama's success positively invigorating. It's very close to my heart.

NOBODY is saying Hillary "can't do it because she's a woman". Nearly every single person agrees that she is the most experienced candidate in the field! That's been the media message for a year. (Even if Biden actually has the strongest credentials. Too bad he's a fucktard.)

I adore Bill... and I can never hate Hillary. But I'm not sure we really need to give her the chance to prove that a woman can do just as good as George W. Bush. That's exactly what a Hillary administration would be: a Democratic version of the Bush admin. Politics over people, stagnated government, divisive policies, and special-interest appointments in federal agencies across the board. Reason and principle would take a back seat to approval polls.

Hillary isn't even a progressive. She won't condemn the death penalty. She won't support gay marriage. She voted for the Iraq war and countless funding bills after the authorization. She's barely a feminist, if that matters.

I can really sympathize with the desire to see a woman in the White House, but I don't think the average voter sees gender as a qualifier. Nobody really doubts that Hillary or Condi could do it. But really, when you look at their records... do we want them to?

ruchi said...

I should clarify, that it's not solely that she's a woman. I also like a lot of her policies: for example, her health care policy is excellent(about the same as Edwards though better than Obama's.) So, if I were comparing their policy positions, well, frankly, it would probably be Edwards/Clinton tie and then Obama.

None of the frontrunners share my politics exactly. All of them are much more likely to give in to corporate interests than I like. And yet, no matter who wins the nomination, I will support them 100%. To me the most important thing is electing a Democrat to the White House in 2008.

Mouse said...

Gah, sorry. That's what I get for blogging at midnight and beyond -- long-winded buffoonery straight from my hole.

You're right, though. It's all about getting the elephants out of the room. :)