Friday, October 10, 2008

Like Oh My God, You Guys

Um, guys? On Tuesday, when I was in class, I seriously almost started crying. No, the teacher wasn't mean, nor was I being beaten by sticks, nor did the class involve advanced regressions.

No, I felt like crying because the class was so AWESOME.

I know, I know I'm a nerd. But it was truly amazing, to be sitting in a class, to have the opportunity to take some time out and learn full-time.

My dad used to say that education is wasted on the young. At the time, I didn't know what he meant, but now I do. And though I'm not very old, I realize that taking a seven year break from education was the best thing I could have possibly done. Because now that I'm back in school, I appreciate it so much more than I ever did when I was younger.

The other day I had a meeting with my advisor, and I started babbling on and on and on as I am prone to do, and I suddenly landed on the topic of food: food security, farmers' markets, whether the rural sector can or should engage in non-agrarian work, or whether the global food economy will necessitate more people working in agriculture in the near future.

My advisor let me prattle on and on, and then told me that I wasn't going to find a class that dealt with food security, but maybe that's a good topic for my dissertation.

Um, really? Crap. I don't really KNOW anything about food security. I was just talking!

Except that's not true really. I don't know much about food security. But the truth is, I've learned a lot in the past year since I've started this blog. And for that I have to thank you. Each and every one of you. Because it weren't for you, if it weren't for teh internets, if it weren't for this blog, I would never have had the courage to do what I'm doing now. I would never have felt like I could hold my own in a new field. I would have felt ill-informed, and under-educated.

So from the bottom of my heart, thank you. Thanks to ALL of you.

Sunday is my one year blogiversary. And in honor of that, I've got some special stuff planned next week. So stay tuned, and once again, thank you. You guys are the awesomest.

13 comments:

Allie said...

That's awesome! So exciting! I took three years off between my sophomore and junior years of college, and it was the best thing I could have done -- like you, I felt like it was such a luxury to learn. Can't wait to hear more about it!

hmd said...

Yeah! I'm so glad everything is working out.

Green Bean said...

Congrats on your blogiversary and on your class and on finding your place in the world. I am with you. Writing a blog, developing connections through the Internet has given me tremendous self clarity as well as confidence. I'm looking forward to your upcoming book on food safety. :)

ScienceMama said...

I know, I totally miss taking classes. Learning totally rules.

Farmer's Daughter said...

My mom went to college when I was a junior in high school. She was 40 and always wanted to go to school but was the youngest of 5 kids and there was no money for college left after her brothers went. She LOVED learning and graduated in 3 1/2 years with a 4.0. I was in college at the same time, NOT getting a 4.0 but not doing so bad either, but I definitely didn't appreciate it like she did.
I've never taken time off going to school... and this year marks my 10th year of "post high school" education... I'm looking forward to being done with this second MS, but I do appreciate the ability to go... usually.

The bean-mom said...

Arduous,

Wow, you're really in London! So great to hear that you love your school, and that all is working out. I think it's so brave of you to pick up, move to a new country, and start a new program in pursuit of your ideals and dreams. I loved my classes in grad school (eons ago now, it seems), but I can't really imagine going back to a degree program now! Maybe some non-credit classes in pottery or, say, poetry--yeah, I could do that. As long as there was no pressure.

And I'm looking forward to hearing more about your dissertation on food safety =)

hgg said...

So happy that you're happy with your choice! Happy blogiversary!

Stephanie said...

Wow, a dissertation on food security! That would be pretty amazing. Glad to hear you like it! (And I don't think I'm wasting my education... I hope.)

Donna said...

Congrats on your blogiversary, but much more on figuring out what you want to do! That's fantastic! And I think you're right about the blogging thing and what a difference it can make. This is a really great little community of bloggers and I think we're all helping each other learn & grow.

Chile said...

Hey, happy blog anniversary! Food security sounds like a great dissertation topic. I mean, think about it, Ruchi. You can look at the best types of fences to keep your food safe, and whether they should be electrified (solar, of course). And then there's secure refrigerated storage systems. Hey! How about a vault like the world seeds are stored in?! You're going to have a blast. ;-P

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I had the same experience when I went back for my masters! It is amazing how a little maturity can make you appreciate the things around you more - especially education!

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

That is so cool! Writing my blog gave me the boost I needed to apply for my current job, it's funny how these things work isn't it?!

Daphne Gould said...

Yes education really is wasted on the young. Well not really, but I remember college. I did quite well, but it wasn't my main focus. Life was. Growing up was. Figuring out who I was, was more important. When I went back to college years later, I was so focused. How much I learned was so important. I hated the easy classes and love the hard ones.